It's easy to set up a video portal with Daily.co TV hardware. In minutes, your different locations can be "always-on."
What is always-on?
Always-on video conferencing is a video portal.
- Whenever an always-on Daily.co TV is on, your TV always will be in its default meeting room.
- To set up a video portal between different locations, simply ask us to set up your TVs with a shared always-on room. If your box is rebooted or gets disconnected from the network, it will auto-join your always-on meeting link once it’s back online.
How do teams use always-on video portals?
- A popular use case is to set up a video portal to connect different locations. For examples, you have multiple offices and want to create a video portal between them so your distributed team can easily talk via Daily.co. For this scenario, you want each box to auto-join the same meeting link so you have a live video stream between each office all day long.
- Another use case is to simplify setting up a meeting. For example, set up your conference room so it’s always in the same Daily.co meeting. Your team doesn’t need to create a meeting link for every meeting. When your team invites a participant, it’s just the same link they always share. (Please keep in mind you’ll want to share your meeting link with trusted invitees.)
- Similarly, always-on makes it easy to have multiple meeting rooms. You can assign each conference room its own meeting link. No more having to check the meeting link for the conference room you’re in. Each conference room is assigned a consistent meeting link, to cut out the confusion.
How does Daily.co TV always-on work?
- Whenever your Daily.co box is online, it will automatically be in its default, always-on meeting link.
- You are not stuck in the always-on meeting. You can exit the meeting from a controller — go to tv.daily.co and enter the TV code. You then have 30 seconds to join another meeting.
- After an always-on box exits the new meeting, it waits 30 seconds to join its usual, assigned meeting link. If you opt not to join a different meeting during that 30 seconds, the box auto connects to the always-on meeting.
Can I join other meetings, if we get always-on?
Yes, your always-on Daily.co TV device can join other meetings. You’re not limited to just your always-on meeting link. At any time, exit the default always-on meeting, and create a new, different meeting link.
**Tip: a screen code still appears on your Daily.co TV so you can take control to screen share or join another meeting.
How to join a different meeting, with your always-on box
Option 1, for folks who know how to create meetings fast:
- Control your TV with your laptop/phone, and exit your meeting.
- You then have 30 seconds to create a new link, and join your meeting.
Option 2: step-by-step
- Create a new meeting link beforehand on your computer.
- When it’s time for your meeting, on your computer or phone, open your new meeting link in Chrome.
- Click on the purple button.
- You’ll need to enter a screen code. That’s in the lower right of your TV screen. This action tells your Daily.co TV you want to join this new meeting link.
- The TV exits the default always-on meeting and joins your new one.
When you exit your meeting, your Daily.co box counts down 30 seconds, and then auto-joins its default, always-on meeting link.
Need more help? Email firstname.lastname@example.org anytime. Chat with us M–F, 9am–5pm PST.